I have a personal log of culture consumed going back to 2003. This year was a particular low on many counts. I have been busy and I don’t ascribe the same value to consuming culture pure for the goal of consuming it anymore. Been there, done that.
- The Peripheral by William Gibson
- Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design by Ernest Adams & Joris Dormans
- Play Matters by Miguel Sicart
- Surface Detail by Ian M. Banks
- The Hydrogen Sonata by Ian M. Banks
- Between the World and Me by Ta-nehisi Coates
- Der Tod des Iwan Iljitsch by Leo Tolstoy
- Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
- Certain to Win by Chet Richards
- Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
Bold is recommended. It looks like this year I especially enjoyed non-fiction maybe because my fiction was limited to fairly mediocre genre stuff. I’m resolving that reading should not be painful (Russians were a good attempt, but too boring) and that it should also not be trivial (so no more genre fiction crap for me).
In movies I fared slightly better but did not manage to hit the one movie per week baseline with a meagre 23 of which only two in the cinema1. I’m playing catchup now over the christmas break with eleven these views happening in December.
All are in my Letterboxed diary but since sites disappear I’m archiving them here as well. I am immensely pleased with almost all of the movies I have seen except for the two marked as shit.
- The Imitation Game
- Moonrise Kingdom
- The Raid 2: Berandal
- Before Midnight
- Straigth outta Compton
- Grizzly Man
- The Fantastic Four 💩
- Frances Ha
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Pacific Rim
- The Princess Bride
- Slow West
- Avengers: Age of Ultron 💩
- Inherent Vice
- Dekalog, trzy
I managed to avoid going to theater plays and went to one opera “Les Contes d’Hoffmann” in the Komische Oper which was delightful.
I guess I can in part explain this shift by my consumption of games. Even without owning a console there is more than enough stuff to play. Here are nineteen games I played for the first time in 2015. Some of them were played only once and some of them were played for dozens of hours2.
- Borderlands 2
- Nuclear Throne
- The Westport Independent
- King of New York
- Cobra Club
- Fallout Shelter
- Her Story
- A Dark Room
- Sage Solitaire
- Let’s make Chaofan
- Mouse Guard: Swords & Strongholds
- Fightin Words
- Counter Strike: Global Offensive
- Galaxy Trucker
- Sunless Sea