Scooters are not legal in Germany yet but in select locations like here in Berlin you can try them out on private land.
This was my first ride and they are an immense pleasure to use once you get your feet positioned properly. I’m not sure yet what happens if you fall off one but I’m pretty sure it will be bad.
The law allowing these on the road has supposedly been signed but still has to work its way through some German institutions. What will happen when these are legal is obvious:
- People will adopt them en masse because scooters are amazing.
- Chaos will ensue everywhere because cities like Berlin have near zero infrastructure to facilitate these vehicles and are unable to adapt at the speed required.
- There will be some accidents which will be blown up by the media.
- A huge backlash will ensue as has already happened in many other places.
- The German attitude towards risk and the ever-present machinations of the car lobby will get scooters banned.
I hope I’m proven wrong but it’s hard to see how it would go any other way.